When I installed the kitchen, the owner wasn't using the drain for the sink - he was using a pipe out the back of the kitchen (into the outdoor drain). Perhaps I should have heeded the warning and done the less than environmentally safe thing...
We knew the sink backed up when we drained a lot of water quickly, but it was doing ok for normal use. Well, this morning we noticed our flooring swelling up a bit. Not knowing what it was, we couldn't do much.
Today as I washed dishes, I got my answer. The drain is backing up with normal use, all over the floor. Needless to say, we had another mess. The end result?
A lot of the flooring is ruined - the ends are curled up, but there's not chance I'm pulling it up - we'll just deal with it, sadly. This house is fabulous!