Friday, September 2, 2011

One more big project

When I made our shower, I did my best to put it in a place where the water would drain to, but I didn't quite get it in the right place. Because of this, we've been using a foam broom to sweep the water in the drain. I've had plans to make a second drain, but had put it off because I knew it was a big project.

I planned to just drill one hole... simple, right? Well, I had to cut a square from the existing tile, chisel out about a 2 inch hold into the cement, and the drill a 12" hole of 1" diameter in cement. Drilling the hole was the hardest part. I bought a drill bit that was about 11" long, thinking it would be enough, but it came up short, so I bought another drill bit to do the job. The hole is angled and goes accross about 11 inches and 5 inches down. Here are the drill bits next to a normal pencil:






Drilling through seemed like it wouldn't work, but finally I saw the bit poke through the PVC pipe on the old drain. Amazingly, it was in the right place (meaning I angled the drill bit correctly). After that, a little bit of black grout and two new drains and we have a better draining shower now!








One of our local friends who is moving soon was really impressed with my work in the house. He really wants me to help with renovation of his house before they move in. Perhaps I have a career in home design after all?