So about a year ago, I made an island for our kitchen. It had a wooden base and then Angela's brother made a top for it out of solid surface (saving us a lot of money... thanks again!). Well, with out new kitchen, the island didn't really fit in. We decided to use it for our baby's changing table and clothes storage shelves. I extended the table because it was only about 18 inches deep. Now it's 26 inches by about 3 feet. Then, I bought a foam pad and cut it to the correct size. I used styrofoam to make pyramid shaped sides so she can't roll off. Then, came this drawing:
I also made a small paper model and took them in to a local sewing shop. The lady looked at it and couldn't wrap her head around it. She definitely thought I was crazy... So, I decided to ask an older lady friend we know if she could help me. She needed me to drill 4 holes in cement (VERY hard cement, that is) but still seemed like a good swap to me :). As she made it, she could ask me questions.
We used the bottoms of out curtains that we had cut off, so the material and sewing didn't cost anything... Also a good thing. Anyway, our friend did a fabulous job, and it turned out exactly as I expected. Here are pictures of it:
Also, since there was a pull out drawer in the old island (before it was used for a pull out cutting board), I made a foam extension. That way, when our little girl is a bit taller, we can use that and not the changing table it about 32 inches long. Not bad, eh?