Saturday, June 20, 2009

Chess Set

About two months ago I promised to offer a writing class to some of my advanced students who had asked for this. They requested it on Saturday, and I thought I'd give it a try. I asked our director (this was back when my boss was back in Canada) and she approved it at a 75%/25% (teacher/company) pay split. She told me to run it by my boss, so I did. He seemed to think it was a good plan... Then, when we submitted it again to be finalized, that's when the company began dragging their feet. First our director wanted it to be a 50/50 split... Then it had to be more than the initial amount... Then they needed to do a cost analysis on whether it was profitable... blah blah blah. I still haven't heard back if it was approved or not... This is what I can't stand about our company... They had a chance to make some extra money at no cost (the school is open on Saturday already), and they didn't jump at the chance...

Well, finally, I got fed up and knew I had promised my students, so I chose to give them a free writing class. Now, I don't make anything and the company doesn't make anything. Makes sense for the company to push it off and end up making nothing, right? The class went well, and I think the four students I allowed in were able to get some good tips and improve themselves. (I had more ask to be in the class, but I only allowed the 4 I had directly told about the class to join).

After the class was finished, they thanked me, etc., and the day after one of the students (who I know quite well) said he wanted to talk to me, but it had to be outside the school building. When we got outside, he gave me a chess set and said that he knows I couldn't take money for the class, so the class bought the chess set for me as a thank you as a friend, so that the company couldn't say anything. It's a cute little set, about a square foot, made of a wooden bottom and metal/pewterish pieces. I had fun taking some photos of the little people:

My Favorite Picture: