Saturday, May 10, 2008

Passed a Test

So, it wasn't a language test (actually, if it WAS a language test, we probably would have failed cause learning a language is TOUGH!).

Yesterday, I went with our Taxi driver friend (see blog below if you don't remember him) to get my car repaired (yes, more repairs to the brick... this time we had to fix the started and timing belt, wahoo for our money pit). He took me to his mechanic, which everyone here has "their" mechanic, kinda like everyone in America has "their" hairdresser - i.e. they are the best, cheapest, and most honest, moreso than the other guy, who I'm sure has his group of supporters. Anyway, I dropped off the car and the mechanic let me drive his hoopty for the day - a 1970 Nissan Sunny that had leprosy - but, it ran and got us to language class this morning.

After dropping the car off, the taxi driver and I went to a restaurant. He asked me if I could do him a favor. He needed to borrow some money... Normally, I wouldn't do this, but we have built some trust, and I saw two outcomes: One, he wouldn't pay me back the $60US and he would ruin our friendship, or Two, he paid me back and now our friendship is stronger. I consulted Angela (like a smart husband) and we decided to go for it. Sure enough, he paid us back today, and I think we have a bit more trust now.

We're still not sure if he needed the money or if he was testing us, but either way, we think it's beneficial for us.

In other news, the car is fixed and has a new starter and timing belt (only $120US) - hopefully it will continue to run well as we depend on our transportation.