My 1st grade class at my Chinese school has been a bear. I've tried everything in my book to control them, and after 4 months I'm hanging on for the ride. Controlling them is almost impossible. Language and special needs plus many who only care.about getting everyone to look at them... Oh, and I'm teaching them after 6 hours of school.
I was teaching them prepositions - in, on and under. At the beginning of the class I had them putting their pencil under their nose, on their head, in their pocket, etc. They loved it. Another teacher even popped in and was watching, so I was glad she saw success...
At the end of class (no more other teacher) I had those who were done writing in front putting their pencil in different places. I'd say "Put it on your head" and little Samuel would say, "I did it, Mr Matt, I did it." On your foot... I did it... In your shirt... On your stomach... Always heard "I did it Mr Matt, I did it."
Then a wave of genius came over me... Make the kids put it on their butts (I am really 7 years old too). Expecting the kids to stick their butts out like ducks trying to balance a pencil on their butts, I said "Put it on your butt." Sure enough, little Samuel said, "I did it, Mr Matt, I did it."
I looked at him, and he had shoved that pencil between his butt cheeks and was squeezing it like a thermometer. Huge smile as he proclaimed his success to me. I could not contain my laughter as I said, "You did it Samuel, yes you did."