Sunday, April 29, 2018

30 Bucks

I (Matt) have had major chest pain the last two days. At first I thought it was my back, but then I could tell it was something else. After two not so sleep filled nights, I decided to go to a doctor, which I hate, especially in our small town... Usually small town doctor's offices here are less than desirable (to give you an idea, a doctor at a small office once told Angela there was no blood test for pregnancy... Another doctor sewed stitches in Angela's mom with what appeared to be yarn...). Anyway, after my Sunday afternoon nap I was in a lot.of pain, so I decided to brave it again. The one office I've been to before in our town was closed, so now I was rolling the dice.

I went to a new office, and the inside was nicely.done. It felt like a hospital, which in this case is a good thing (many offices can be dirty feeling). The doctor was nice. First she checked normal temperature, blood pressure, etc. Then she did an ekg to make sure my heart was OK. Then a glucose test. She said it was probably gastric reflux (which I disagreed with as it didn't feel like that) or plurasy, where the outer part.of.your lungs is swollen. She prescribed a muscle.relaxer.for that. Finally she asked if I wanted to do a blood test, to see if there was an infection. Sure, I said, would I get the results the next day? Nope. 5 minutes. She took blood, walked.into the room next door, and was back in 2 minutes, literally, with my cbc results. High white blood.cells, not too high though, so she added antibiotics.

Then came the payment. I wasn't sure, but figured all the tests seemed logical, so why not... Rm123 for everything ($30). Doctors fees, blood test, glucose test, ecg... And the medicine too. Most co-pays in the US are this much and then lab results and medicine would be extra ($ and hassle).

Now.i just hope the meds work and I can lie down without pain...