We planned to go to kl to grocery shop today because last time we went shopping, I noticed that the lactose free and vegan cheese was expiring today. I wasn't 100% sure, but that's what I thought. A few months ago I noticed some day or.two expired cheese, so I asked.the manager for a discount. They werent marked.down, which this store has a mark down section for packaged food. The cheese originally has a 3-4 month refrigerated shelf life, so I figured a few days wouldn't hurt. The manager.didnt want to sell it to me, but I said I didn't care,knowing she'd throw.it.away... I was expecting like 50% off or something. I got 6 bags of shredded vegan cheese for $0.15 each (normally $8 each). Another trip last month I got 8 tubs of vegan cream cheese expiring the next day for about the same price.
I had such high hopes today of hitting another jackpot that I dreamt of getting a good deal last night. Some.of you probably.think I'm stupid for caring so much, but discounted food is how we can afford many imports which are.2-4 times the US price (not even including sales at many us grocery stores). Cheese our family can eat (we try our.best to eat lactose.free/dairy free) is very expensive.and hard to find usually. Previously with the exception of one store which stocked packs for.$12 each, we settled for a funny tasting brand of vegan cheese.
Last January one store got a huge shipment of this Go Veggie cheese. The shreds were ok, but the slices are excellent, and the normal price or $8 each was better than $12.
Today I walked straight to the cheeses and sure enough one kind was expiring today and another in two days. I went to ask the manager, but I was told no manager today. I talked to a guy who looked and said.this could.be returned to the supplier so I guess it's better to just return it than to give.me.a discount. Plus he said he didn't have the power to discount. Feeling I exhausted my chance, I picked out two packs (expiring in a month and a half) and checked out). I met Ang and the kids and we decided to leave.
As we were leaving I saw the previous gal who helped me. I had actually seen her leaving when I first arrived, but didn't want to chase her and be rude. She was walking around the mall with friends, completely punched out of work. I mentioned more cheese and she said let's.go get.it now. Off hours she helped me make my biggest score yet - 32 packs of cheese for $4.00 (normally about $215). Angela said her jaw literally dropped! Plus, she gave me her card and said I could.give.other requests and she'd help me. Now our freezer is full of.cheese (which they don't recommend freezing, buy surely.it.will go bad otherwise, so we might.lose some texture). Not bad, and we are thankful for.this wonderful provision. Afterwards we met an old friend's family for a nice dinner.