Thursday, January 18, 2018

Complements: Speaking behind my back and sighs

Last week I got two genuine complements, which students didn't mean to give.

The first was.last Thursday night. My secondary class goes from 8-9:30, and when I said it was 9:30 and time to go home, just about every kid sighed, as 8f saying what? How could an hour and a half go by so quickly? Their faces said the same.

The second was last Saturday. One class has all Chinese students (by chance, as our town has an equal mix of Chinese, Malay and Indian, all of whom are Malaysian). I'm trying hard to get them to speak Chinese in the class. So one student said to another: dah dah dah Mr Matt dah dah dah. I has no idea what he said in Chinese, but I knew it was about me. I explained that I assumed he was saying something bad about me. After asking many times I got the translation: (I had just asked if they thought school was boring) If classes were like Mr Matt's class, school wouldn't be boring. I'd say that was a complement :)