I volunteered to install TV's, speakers, cameras and laptops at Addison's preschool in each of the three classroom about 4 months ago. I bought everything in June. I got a lot installed in June, but life got busy and I've been sick, so I've had to finish things slowly. Plus, my plan with the HDMI switch was a huge headache (I ordered 5 different ones and finally worked it out), mostly because the camera I'm using is 5 years old and old technology.
Through my wise shopping and getting the cameras used cheap from a friend, I saved the school at least 30% easily. Additionally, they paid nothing for labor, saving them a lot more. Surely the project would.have cost double had they paid someone else.do it.
I think it turned out nicely. So much was custom made - like the boxes covering the cameras (which allow you to put a book underneath and show it on the TV). I even put on locks and black curtains to hide wires! I paid attention to detail more than I do in my house projects, probably because so many eyes will see my work. One teacher suggested the locks and curtains, and suggested a simple padlock and said she'd attach a curtain. Knowing that would probably look, well, not so nice, I installed proper drawer locks and curtains that won't interfere with the hinges... My favourite part of the entire project? The cabinet clips I got for US$0.50 for a pack of 10. They came in handy...
Here are some pictures of what I did.