Thursday, December 1, 2016

21km (13 miles)

I set out on a 1 hour bike ride that turned into 2 1/2 hours. I got the urge to try for a bigger loop. I entered a gated plantation, knowing there was a road that would bring me to over 20 miles of mountain biking, so I hoped for a shortcut. I knew there was one, and looking at the maps, I'm sure I found it, but the old road (which was used when they built the railway and has since been abandoned) is very overgrown. I think I will give it another chance tomorrow or Saturday. That shortcut would have made my ride about 10 miles, but no success last time.

So it took several small stream crossings, and carrying my bike down a 6 foot drainage ditch with no easy way down (or up). I slid down the mud into the ditch, and then threw the bike out and clawed up the muddy side. The ride was great, though, mostly on the hillside with great views down.

I saw a wild boar, monkeys, colourful butterflies, birds, a (dead) snake and a huge owl. Very fun...