Brown vs Board of Education. Roe vs Wade. Atlas vs The World. All of these will go down in history.
Two weeks ago, since my mentoring job finished and I no longer need permission to work another job, I applied for my teaching permit at the state education office (1.5 hours north). I submitted the forms, and at first, all looked good. Then the lady said since I was a foreigner, I had to apply at the national education office. No name or address were given, so I used the ol' Internet.
We drove 1.5 hours south to the address I found. Nope, not thw right address. Drive 20 minutes to the other side of town. Nope, this office only does university teaching permits. Drive to the building next to the building you were at before and talk to Mr R. But it's lunch break, wait till after 2.
Walk in at 2:10. Mr R? He's not in the office. Wait a while. Come in... to the boss's office. Yep, the head of private schools in the country (actually he was #2, the #1 guy is out for 2 months). The guy was super friendly and after telling me they don't give permits to foreigners for this type of centre and hearing my story, he made a few calls. An hour later, after checking everything, he said if he let me do it, he'd be setting precedent for the future. Well, that precedent was set because once he was satisfied everything was in order with immigration and policy, he called my state office and said to process my permit and give me the chance. He basically said let Matt do what he wants.
So today I drove an hour and a half north to submit the form. It'll be done in two weeks.
Now I'm the first in the country with this privilege. I like that idea. I didn't accept a no. It didn't make sense. Once the right people rationalized it, they agreed too.
So now it's time to prove myself. Gotta get 2016 enrollment. My target is 150, I've officially got 1 :) but I expect 90% of the current 100 students to continue next year.