Friday, October 9, 2015

Goodbye Cards

The adventure was fun while it lasted - going in to Primary Schools and being adored by hundreds of little kids calling out Mister Matt, or some version of that.  After 5 years the contract is over, and a renewal is possible but not in black and white.  That's why we started our language centre, which now is just shy of 100 students.  I have welcomed a schedule only juggling two part time jobs, not three (or more realistically, two full time jobs and one part time job).  Here are some cards the kids made for me:
 
Honesty appreciated - starting in the second line, she switches to Malay, saying she isn't good at writing in English (and actually, her Malay isn't the best either, hehe)
 
Pictures say a thousand words: 
 
I guess I need to go back to the school and re-teach the holidays again - they missed Christmas! 
 
As you can see, my name gets misspelled sometimes.  This letter is very representative of the culture here - when saying goodbye to someone, you always apologize for anything you did wrong - even if you have been a perfect angel, it's just expected. 
 
I'm guessing the top one was done by the 1st grader and the bottom one by an older sibling, but if the 1st grader did both, man, he/she needs to go to a special art school! 
 
Cute: 
 
"I like what you teach..." 
 
In one class, this girl asked me what a US dollar looked like.  The next day I brought one (just happened to have one at home, which wasn't usual) and she'll probably keep it for a long time.  Side note - all her classmates saw that she got a dollar and quickly asked me if they could 'see' one too... too bad I was all out or I would've lost $100 that day! 
 
I wish I looked this cool... 
 
Creative card designs: 
 
This school met Addison and this girl liked having her at the school: