Saturday, August 1, 2015

A Door Hole

I hoped this day would never come, but I had to make an emergency exit in the back of my centre. This means breaking a door hole and spending almost a thousand US dollars to build a steel staircase.

I've done the hard work busting out the block wall at our English centre. After reviving my rotten sledge hammer with a new handle, I used my angle grinder to cut lines in the cement wall and a-wacking I went.

Breaking out the wall took about an hour and a half. Thankfully I didn't hit any heavy metal, just thin chicken wire like metal inside the wall. I sacrificed a window because this was the best placement for the door (further to either side would mean either too steep of a descent or messing with piping).

I was thankful that it worked as planned, no bumps. Just one on my left hand from my erratic hammer, but life goes on. Cleanup took a long time, trash cans full of broken brick got carried to the dumpster on my motorbike - very Malaysian I've become.