Saturday, March 7, 2015

More Power and Control

Our Language Centre is a bit more hi-tech now with an access card system installed.  I haven't filled in the holes and painted (as you can see in the pictures), but it is installed and working.  It will require students to use their ID cards to enter the school, and nobody else can enter.  This has two main functions - safety of the kids and less distractions for me.  Since we aren't paying a secretary to man our front desk, I don't want people coming in the school while we're teaching and interrupting classes.  This will help with both of these.
 
I also faced my fear (I like to think of it as a respect, not a fear) and took apart the small fuse box and made it bigger so each room has its own fuse.  Although I'm not scared of electrical projects (like wiring the access card system up), I am cautious when messing with high voltage/amperage).  I did it, so now I can expand to more fuses (before I could have a maximum of 6, now I can have 10).
 
Last class, I played a new game, which I basically made up on the spot (ideas were in my head beforehand, but as it played out, I made up the rules).  Kids got 2 plastic army men each.  Then, one of each of the teams sent a fighter to the middle to battle.  They had to answer a question again the other team.  The winner of the battle got to either steal one army man from the loser, or they could challenge.  If they challenged, the winner rolled two dice and the loser rolled one.  The highest number got to keep all the army men (so 4 in this case).  The kids loved the game.  By the end of the game, the entire class was crowding around the middle.  I'll try to grab a video of the game from our security system and post it... It was definitely a winner.