Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A Clever Kid

This story may not make too much sense, but I've tried to translate everything.  I've put English translations in brackets after.

So in every elementary school class, kids inevitably always volunteer enthusiastically - ie they raise their hands, jump up and down, and call out.  It's no different in Malaysia - kids wave their arms, stand up, do the "I've got to pee dance" and yell out "saya, saya" [me, me].  Today, rather than just telling them to quietly raise their hands like I normally do, I tried to use it as a teaching point and told them to say "Me, me".  Now, in Malay, "Mee", pronounced the same as the English "Me" means noodles.  So after teaching this, I had 20+ kids yelling "Me, me", or apparently to one kid, "Mee, mee" because after thinking a bit, he chose to yell out "Nasi lemak" [coconut rice].  I guess he thought I was a waiter taking orders for food!