Sunday, January 13, 2013

iPhone = iFun

I spent two days last week working on Angela's phone.  On Thursday her phone died - saying it needed to update.  With an unlocked US iPhone, if you update it, it will lock itself again and you won't be able to use it (ie it would be useless to her here).  At first I tried to fix the problem with no success.

Then I decided to take it to a shop and have them fix it.  They wanted to charge the equivalent of $50, keep the phone for a day, and fix it for me with the same old software (which didn't run Skype and some other programs anymore as they weren't supported).  I decided to have another go myself.

After many hours, I was able to fix it and now she has the most up to date software but it works fine here.  She can even get phone calls on Skype while she is out and about (a new, very useful feature).  I was proud of myself for pushing through and figuring it out - one more someone useless skill I have now.  The feeling was similar to when I re-keyed my ignition lock for my old truck when we lived back in Delaware...  I did something that most people can't do, but I probably won't ever need to do again :)

In other news, we just got back from going back to our old town and visiting people (2 hrs away).  I also went to my University's library.  Addison was once again a very agreeable traveler.