Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Our Trip Back to the US - Riding the MagLev

Coming back, we were told that our bags would go to Shanghai, but they wouldn't transit there. We had to leave security and get our bags and then re-check them... A bit of a pain, also, a bit unnerving 'cause that means they must give us a Visa on Arrival. Thankfully, that wasn't a problem. We got our bags and had a few hours to kill before we could check in, so I decided to walk around the airport. As I walked, I saw signs for the MagLev Train. Curious, I went to see if it'd be possible to ride on it. It cost about $10 for a 40 minute round trip ticket to go to the first station in Shanghai and back...

This was WELL worth it as riding the train is one of my dreams. I watched a video about a hundred times (not an exaggeration) that showed a Magnetic Levitation train. It uses magnets to sit off the ground and hover above the track, making it very smooth and quiet. The train has a speed limit of 300 kilometers and hour, which is almost 200 miles an hour... Oh, it was a treat! Here are pictures and a video: