Sunday, October 19, 2008

Monkies and Fireflies

Yesterday we went on a trip with some friends to a town about 2 hours away. There, we went up a hill with a lighthouse on top. After that we took a hike through a nature reserve, and then we took a boat ride down the river to see fireflies.




At Melawati Hill, there are a few cannons to see in addition to the lighthouse. There is also a nice view of the sea. My favorite part, though, is that there are tons of monkeys at the top. They are friendly monkeys (but they are still monkeys, so Angela wasn't much a fan).




After the monkeys, we went to a nearby nature park. We saw a lot of crabs and mud skippers. Did you know they have BLUE crabs? Not just light blue, these are bright blue! Crazy! And mud skippers are real fish... and they really skip on the mud!




After the walk, we had a nice seafood dinner of many things. I ate fish head for the first time. The meat is indeed good.




The best part of the trip was the boat ride to see the "kelip-kelip" - fireflies! We took a small boat down the river with a guy paddling it. As we rowed down the river, there were hundreds of fireflies lighting up along the river. They are neat because the flicker rather than go on and off like I'm used to in America. I wish I could show a photo, but they aren't bright enough for my camera.