Friday, April 11, 2008

A Night with Our Students

We were going to have dinner with some of our students two weeks ago, but since I got sick, the trip was postponed. We planned for it tonight. After a bit of a misunderstanding (we thought the entire class was invited, but the student who had been asking only wanted certain people to come), we ended up going out tonight and having a great time. The students are very low in their English skills, but it was a good night to talk and connect with them on a more friendly level.

We ate Arab food, which is not fried but boiled and baked. The flavors were different and good (but it is still meat and rice). We enjoyed it a lot.

Also, in other good news - we found a restaurant today that is nearby that serves some different dishes (still rice and meat) so we were able to have some different flavors (including a beef, onion, and cilantro dish that Angela likes a lot). We are trying to still eat healthy foods as getting fruits (without sugar) and vegetables here is difficult when you eat at a restaurant.

One more quick story... We went to the grocery store here and wanted to find (among other things) marshmallows. Well, I went to ask someone and he very quickly went to find help... not help to ask if someone knew where the marshmallows were, but help to speak English! When he asked other employees, they all tried to hide! Finally someone "braved" talking to the white guy to find out what he wanted... I tried saying marshmallows, but all I got was a mispronounced "marshmallows?" back. I then showed a round ball with my fingers and said "putih" which means white... Then I got a "Ahh... marshmallows..." With that, it was like a goose chase to find them... Not just one person was helping us now, we had 3-4 people looking, asking other employees... After all of that, we walked away with no marshmallows because they said they were "habis"... which actually means finished (or out of stock) when you translate literally, but actually it means they may not ever stock them, but it seems more polite to say out of stock...